Caltrans staff provided a written update to the Willits City Council on September 24 on the status of the Willits Bypass. The complete text is provided below.
WILLITS BYPASS PROJECT
2014 CONSTRUCTION SEASON
SEPTEMBER 2014 UPDATE
The following is a summary of the construction activities that have been completed up to September 18, 2014
(Refer to Attachment No. 1 for Project Map).
- Contractor has completed approximately 48% of the work.
Southern Segment (Beginning of Project to Center Valley Road) – STA”A”96+00 to 149+00 (3.3 miles):
- Rock blanket on excavated slopes (U1 slope) completed.
- Construction of crossover detour for northbound freeway traffic to U1 line continues.
- Haehl Creek realignment and fish passage improvement work is started and will be completed by the end of September 2014.
- 101/20 Separation and Haehl Creek Bridges foundations are complete, abutments are complete 101/20 superstructures anticipate November 2014 completion. Due to short work window and temporary suspension of Corps permit in June 2014, Haehl Cr. Structures will suspend then resume next June 2015 and be complete in September 2015.
- Northbound onramp E20/N101 Connector bridge is complete, except for concrete barrier rails.
- North Haehl Creek bridge is also complete, work on approaches will begin this week.
- Pond relocation at Rutledge property is complete.
- Baechtel Creek retaining wall is complete.
Floodway Viaduct – STA “A” 149+00 to 167+50 (1.2 miles):
- Frame 1 – 5 superstructure work is ongoing, 3 large concrete pours have occurred. 7 more plus hinge closure pours are needed before falsework can be removed. Completion in 2014 will be
dependent on weather.
- In Frame 6 – 8 (Bents 24 – 34) footing and column construction will be completed by mid October. Construction of the superstructure will resume in the spring 2015.
- City of Willits and Caltrans continue to coordinate work near WWTP [waste water treatment plant] facilities.
North Segment (Viaduct to End of Project – STA “A” 167+50 to 191+10 (1.5 miles):
- Placing erosion control at RR bridge abutments.
- Utility relocation ongoing.
- Construction of bridge fills from MFP borrow site continuing.