WILLITS BYPASS PROJECT
2015 CONSTRUCTION SEASON
April 2015 UPDATE
The following is a summary of the construction activities that have been completed up to April 17, 2015
- Contractor has completed approximately 67% of work on the project.
Southern Segment (Beginning of Project to Center Valley Road) – STA”A”96+00 to 149+00 (3.3 miles):
- Repair to winter damage slopes near the south interchange is complete.
- Construction of crossover detour for northbound freeway traffic to U1 line is complete.
- Haehl Creek realignment and fish passage improvement work is complete.
- An active treatment system has been installed and is being operated during storms to remove turbidity from storm water run-off.
- Right and Left bridges for 101/20 Separation are complete, except for concrete barriers, joint seals, and deck grooving. These items of work will not begin until late in 2015 or early 2016.
- Haehl Creek Bridge foundations and abutments are complete. Due to a short work window and temporary suspension of Corps permit in June 2014, work on Haehl Creek Bridges is suspended and will resume in June 2015, and be completed in October 2015.
- Northbound onramp E20/N101 Connector Bridge is complete, except for concrete barriers, joint seals, and deck grooving.
- East Hill Road Undercrossing Bridge is complete except for concrete barriers, joints, and deck grooving.
- North Haehl Creek Bridge is complete except for concrete barriers, joint seals, and deck grinding.
- Pond relocation at Rutledge property is complete.
- Baechtel Creek Retaining Wall is complete. Concrete barrier, backfill and embankment will be completed in 2015.
- Embankment between Haehl Creek and Center Valley Road started, but is suspended until summer 2015.
- Erosion control materials are being monitored and maintained at all locations.
Floodway Viaduct – STA “A” 149+00 to 167+50 (1.2 miles):
- Foundations and columns are complete for all 8 frames.
- Bent 4 columns damaged in the January falsework collapse are reconstructed.
- Frame 1 Falsework is also reconstructed and forms and reinforcing placement is in progress.
- Frames 2, 3, 4, and 5 are complete except for concrete barriers, deck grooving, and surface finishing. Hinges 8, 13, and 17 are complete.
- Falsework forms and reinforcing for Frames 6, 7, and 8 are under construction.
- Completion of the Viaduct by September 2015 is anticipated.
- City of Willits and Caltrans continue to coordinate work near WWTP facilities at Frames 6, 7, and 8.
North Segment (Viaduct to End of Project – STA “A” 167+50 to 191+10 (1.5 miles):
- Excavation and foundation pile driving has begun at Bridge 10-0171- Quail Meadows Overhead.
- Redesign of the North interchange is complete.
- Construction of embankment from MFP borrow site will resume as soon as weather and ground conditions permit.
- Utility relocation work is ongoing.
- Work on Quail Meadows Undercrossing and three Upp Creek Bridges will begin in May 2015.
- Completion of all mainline and interchange bridges in October 2015 is anticipated.
- Erosion control is being monitored and maintained at all locations.